Earlier this year, Jon Bernthal made his introduction into the Marvel Cinematic Universe with a bang (or a couple hundred, that is) with his performance as Frank Castle/The Punisher, which is probably why it wasn’t surprising when Marvel and Netflix went ahead and greenlit the character for his own standalone series on the streaming service as well. Especially with all the rumors pointing towards it beforehand.
Now, even though the show’s premiere date is still a complete mystery, it looks like we have our first villain and cast member for the highly-anticipated spin-off series.
TVLine is reporting that actor Ben Barnes has been added to the show’s cast, and while details regarding his character are sparse for the time being, it does look like Barnes will be playing none other than crime boss, Bobby Saint, a role previously played by James Carpinello in the 2004 Punisher film.
Barnes is the first cast member to be added to the series alongside Bernthal, though many reports suggest the series is also looking to find an actor to play Microchip in it, so keep your eyes peeled for any other possible announcements soon.
Barnes can next be seen in HBO’s Westworld next month, and has established himself as a fairly reliable actor in the industry over the years, even if the films he’s in don’t always live up to his performances. Nonetheless, this comes as an exciting update on The Punisher series, which could mean some more announcements, hopefully, in the near future as well.
The Punisher does not currently have a premiere date.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016