Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice should have been the biggest superhero film of all time, but Zack Snyder’s follow-up to Man of Steel performed below expectations after a string of negative critical reviews and a decidedly mixed response from fans. One of the biggest criticisms levied against the film was the muddled approach to storytelling, with its inconsistent and confusing narrative feeling as though something was missing.
Of course, that was exactly the case – even before Batman v Superman opened in theaters, Warner Bros. announced an extended, R-rated cut of the film would be making its way to home video. With 30 minutes of additional footage – including restoring Jena Malone’s mystery role that was cut from the theatrical release – and enough violence to cross the PG-13 line, fans like myself have been hoping that this version of the film will be the superior offering.
Today, Collider revealed the first official trailer for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition, which includes several new scenes that we didn’t see on the big screen. You can check that out right here:
I didn’t hate Batman v Superman as much as some folks I know, and it definitely had some elements that worked very well. But the theatrical version also reeked of too much studio involvement, and I’ve been very curious to see what Snyder’s original vision for the film might have looked like. And while the Blu-Ray won’t contain the 4-hour cut that he initially crafted, an extra 30 minutes should offer plenty of space to fill in some of those missing pieces.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition will be available on Digital HD beginning June 28, with the Blu-Ray version hitting store shelves on July 19 and boasting a decent-sized list of special features, including:
- Uniting the World’s Finest
- Gods and Men: A Meeting of Giants
- The Warrior, The Myth, The Wonder
- Accelerating Design: The New Batmobile
- Superman: Complexity & Truth
- Batman: Austerity & Rage
- Wonder Woman: Grace & Power
- Batcave: Legacy of the Lair
- The Might and the Power of a Punch
- The Empire of Luthor
- Save the Bats
You can pre-order your copy of the Blu-Ray edition via Amazon – or, if you’re like me and you need some cool stuff to display on your shelves, you can fork over the cash for one of the Collector’s Edition options that ship with an exclusive Batman or Superman figurine.
Let’s be honest – who doesn’t want Batfleck standing guard over their living room?
Latest posts by Brent Hankins (see all)
- ‘Constantine’ Gets Stay Of Execution In New Animated Series - January 9, 2017
- ‘Arrow’ Season 5 Resumes With Old, New Faces - January 8, 2017
- ‘Doctor Stange’ Blu-ray Heralds Return Of Thor, Roommate - January 8, 2017
- Thor Finds Hulk, Only To Fight Him In Next Film - January 7, 2017
- FXX Captures ‘Archer’ As It Readies For Crazy Eighth Season - January 7, 2017