If the film’s marketing was any indication then next year’s Power Rangers reboot might as well be called, Rita Repulsa Featuring The Power Rangers, with Elizabeth Banks’ new iteration of the classic villain from the series being the focal point of a number of the film’s images and marketing up until this point. Considering she’s the biggest star of the film basically, it’s not all that surprising, though it does make you wonder how much of a balance between the heroes and its villain the film will end up having.
A new image of Repulsa in the film has been released as well, and unlike the original series which had her trapped in what basically looked like a giant bronze cup (with a lid), it looks like the film’s new version of her entrapment will look more like an… icicle? I guess. It’s kind of hard to tell honestly.
Check out the new image below (via Instagram):
Based purely on what she brought to her role in The Hunger Games franchise, Banks as Repulsa is arguably the most exciting aspect of the film right now. After going back and watching clips of the original version of the character in the previous iterations as well, I can only imagine the kind of over-the-top performance that Banks will be giving here.
Combine that with Bryan Cranston’s floating head being trapped in what we hope is going to be a giant glass cylinder, and Power Rangers might as well be the weirdest blockbuster coming out next year. Whether or not it ends up being good though, is another story altogether.
Power Rangers is set to hit theatres on March 24th, 2017.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016