After being officially revealed for the first time with concept art at Star Wars Celebration in Anaheim last year, Disney and Lucasfilm have unveiled the best look at the U-Wing yet, the new ship in the Star Wars universe, set to be shown and introduced later this year in director Gareth Edwards’ Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.
Unlike the A, X, and Y-Wings, the U-Wing (or the Incom UT-60D as its referred to in the film), isn’t a fighter ship really, as much as its a transport for troops and a gunship for the Rebel Alliance. Similar to the X-Wing though, the ship’s s-foils can be changed into an alternate position in case of aerial combat situations, according to Lucasfilm story group creative exec, Matt Martin.
In addition to the above never-before-seen still from the film, the new images of the U-Wing were released on this week’s episode of the Star Wars Show, check them out below and click on the highlighted link to watch the full episode as well:
I imagine the U-wing merchandising will be off the charts later this year for the film, and rightfully so considering the ship’s dynamic design shown above.
By no means is this the most exciting new thing that Rogue One will be bringing to the Star Wars universe, but seeing the introduction of new ships in addition to exploring a period in the universe that we have yet to really, fully explore onscreen is a nice, added treat for fans. Personally, I’m just looking forward to seeing how many films it takes before the creative team runs out of alphabetical letters to use for their new ships.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story is set to hit theatres on December 16th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016