If you’re like I was in the mid-1990’s, a good majority of your mornings were dedicated to watching cartoons featuring anthropomorphic animals. Some were sewer-dwelling turtles, others may have been lazy orange cats who hate Mondays…it’s even possible you favored a certain fast blue hedgehog who to this day still appears in various video games and merchandise.
“Sonic the Hedgehog” was definitely a part of my own morning cartoon regimen. The weekday comedy version was silly and absurd while the Saturday morning one was full of action-packed storytelling. Regardless of if you watched either adaptation, it was Sonic the Hedgehog…and it was awesome. Having said that, news broke yesterday from Variety that Sega, by way of writer/producer Bill Freiberger (“The Simpsons”) are developing a brand new version of the classic Hedgehog.
The show is titled “Sonic Boom” and is being developed for Cartoon Network’s 6-11 demographic (like that means anything to us “Adventure Time/Regular Show” fans). 52 episodes (11 minutes each) of a new Sonic CGI comedy are being cranked out as we speak. Sonic as well as his buddy Tails and the evil Dr. “Don’t Call Me Robotnik” Eggman will be featured in the new series.
Of course, there’s only two things I can think of…1: Jaleel White? and 2: Please let this be the opening theme:
Check out “Sonic Boom” when it hits Cartoon Network in Fall 2014.
Latest posts by John J. Galbo (see all)
- Bandai-Namco Summer Preview: Pac-Man 2, Moto GP, and More - August 7, 2014
- EA Games Summer Preview: Madden 15, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and More - July 18, 2014
- Game Review: Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20, 2014
- Sony and Gallery1988 Celebrate ‘Ghostbusters’ 30th Anniversary with NYC Art Show - April 21, 2014
- Hands-On Preview: Pulling Back the Iron Curtain on ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ - February 27, 2014