After taking place in the seemingly modern day at first, ever since X-Men: First Class, the franchise has not only become a continuation/prequel for the series, but also become period piece films as well, usually incorporating the well-known history and pop culture of the times to impact or accentuate their respective stories. For better or for worse sometimes.
Now, with X-Men: Apocalypse progressing a decade ahead from Days of Future Past‘s 1970s theme to the 1980s, it looks like the period progression is going to continue throughout the rest of the series after all. According to producer and writer, Simon Kinberg, that is.
While recently speaking with Comingsoon.net, Kinberg confirmed that the next film in the franchise will in fact, move forward another decade:
“The next one is set in the ’90s.”
Now, it should be noted that Kinberg didn’t specify if he meant the next core X-Men film, or one of their spin-offs, including New Mutants possibly. But let’s face it, he’s probably talking about the next X-Men film.
This is good news, possibly, as the X-Men comics and property experienced a signifcant high in the 90s, thanks to the redesigned comics and characters, as well as the incredibly popular animated series of the same name. Now, there’s no telling if the film itself will actually use some of the 90s directions and angles for the series, or if it will just take place in the decade alone. But nonetheless, prepare yourselves for some probably grunge-rock obsessed mutants.
X-Men: Apocalypse is set to hit theatres on May 27th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016