The cast of X-Men: Apocalypse continues to grow as we inch closer to its release next summer, and director Bryan Singer has announced a new cast member to embody one of the comic book franchise’s most beloved characters.
According to an Instagram post from Singer (via Variety), the director has cast actress Olivia Munn as Betsy Braddock, aka Psylocke. See the post below.
Psylocke, created in the late 1970’s by influential X-Men writer Chris Claremont and artist Herb Trimpe, is a mutant with the abilities of precognition and empathy, as well as having the ability to create a katana and other stabbing weapons with her own mind. The character has often been described as a favorite among X-Men comics fans, and her incorporation into the film will likely be met with praise from those who have been waiting patiently to see Psylocke adapted into live-action.
The actress chosen to embody her, Olivia Munn, is also no stranger to the world of comics fans, having been a host on the G4 network series “Attack of the Show!” before transitioning into more regular dramatic roles on film and television. Her biggest role to date has likely been on HBO’s “The Newsroom,” where she played economist Sloan Sabbith, in addition to serving as a correspondent on “The Daily Show” for one year.
Munn joins existing cast members James MacAvoy as Professor X, Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, Nicholas Hoult as Beast, and Oscar Isaac as Apocalypse. The film is scheduled to go into production soon for release on May 27th, 2016. For more on the film as it happens, keep it locked on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015