While Captain Jack Sparrow has always been the major star of the Pirates of the Caribbean film franchise, fans greatly noticed the absence of some of its major characters for the fourth film released in 2011. Now, at least one of those stars is back, and bringing his character with him.
Announced yesterday at D23 (via IGN), actor Orlando Bloom will be reprising his role as Will Turner from the original trilogy of films: 2003′s Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, along with 2006′s Dead Man’s Chest and 2007′s At World’s End. In the third film, Will became captain of the Flying Dutchman, ferrying souls to the “other side” for ten years before he’s able to return to his wife, Elizabeth (played by Keira Knightley). It’s implied at the end of At World’s End that Will and Elizabeth lived happily ever after with their son after he did his duty, so it’s unclear exactly what brings him back into the fold for the next film.
Principal photography on the next film wrapped last week in Australia, but it’s still going to be a while before it’s ultimately released in theaters. Others reprising their roles from previous films include Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush as Captains Jack Sparrow and Hector Barbossa, respectively. Rush has hinted that Barbossa could be the villain for the forthcoming installment, which also includes Javier Bardem and Kaya Scodelario as part of the cast.
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales will be released worldwide on July 7th, 2017. For more on the film as we inch closer to its release, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5′ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2′ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015