Following the beloved 2013 original film from Guillermo del Toro, Pacific Rim 2 is shaping up to be one hell of an interesting sequel. Former Daredevil showrunner, Steven S. DeKnight, is set to make his feature directorial debut with the film, and to top it all off, it recently landed The Force Awakens breakout star, John Boyega, as the film’s lead, with the actor also set to co-produce the movie as well.
And now, we know when it’ll hit theatres.
Legendary and Universal have officially dated Pacific Rim 2 for a release on February 23rd, 2018, reports are saying, which means fans will have to wait less than two years before they see the Jaegers return to the big screen once again. No word on the movie’s official plot or other cast members have been revealed as of yet.
Originally, the sequel was rumored to take place several years after the events of the first film, as the monster-fighting mechs known as Jaegers have become commonplace in society. It’s currently unknown whether or not the sequel will still follow that same basic starting point however, though Boyega is set to play the son of Idris Elba’s character in the original film, and Jurassic World co-writer Derek Connolly was brought on to perform a script rewrite as well.
I was one of the audience members who had a bit of a lukewarm reaction to the original film if I’m being completely honest, blown away by the movie’s visual effects and fight sequences, but turned off by its often one-note characters and cheesy dialogue. I’m hoping that the sequel will be able to build off the original’s promising premise this time around though, and not only deliver a kick ass action film again, but one with some more emotionally-resonant characters as well.
Pacific Rim 2 will hit theatres on February 23rd, 2018.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016