After playing a long and confusing game of “will they or won’t they” with fans, Legendary’s Pacific Rim 2 was finally confirmed to be happening a few months ago, though not like how many had expected with Guillermo del Toro acting only as a producer on the film and Daredevil season one showrunner, Steven S. DeKnight, set to direct the project.
Now, it looks like the long-awaited sequel has just made yet another comforting step forward, by bringing on one of the most highly sought after screenwriters in the industry right now.
THR is reporting that Jurassic World and Safety Not Guaranteed co-writer, Derek Connolly, has been brought on to revise the current script for the film, though it’s unclear if he’s doing a page one rewrite on the project, or simply tweaking/introducing new story ideas into it. Previous drafts of the script have been worked on by del Toro, Zak Penn, and Jon Spaihts.
While story details are still unknown, the sequel was at one point going to take place several years after the events of the first film, where the monster-fighting mechs known as Jaegers, have become commonplace around the world. In addition to World and Guaranteed, Connolly is also credited with working on Legendary’s upcoming Kong: Skull Island as well, which basically makes him your go-to guy if you need a monster movie written, I guess.
Honestly, I’m gonna go ahead and actually consider this to be good news. The weakest part of Pacific Rim was arguably, the self-serious characters and poor dialogue, with the action set pieces being the only thing to really make the movie stand out from the pack. Connolly managed to bring a fun, and self-deprecating tone to the Jurassic World franchise though, which whether you liked it or not, reaped some incredible financial results for the franchise, and I think could help the Pacific Rim series also.
He’s currently working on co-writing the Jurassic World sequels with his frequent collaborator, Colin Trevorrow, as well.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016