Considering how many production troubles World War Z went through on the way to the big screen, it’s a miracle that the final film turned out as well as it did. Director Marc Forster’s global zombie thriller earned $111 million worldwide at the box office this past weekend, marking the highest opening weekend ever for producer/star Brad Pitt. With the film generating mostly positive buzz from critics and audience members, Paramount has decided to move ahead with another installment.
Studio vice chairman Rob Moore told The Hollywood Reporter that the studio will actively turn to developing a sequel, which aligns with the original plan to turn the book adaptation into a trilogy. Those plans were scrapped during the movie’s disastrous shoot, but now that the first one has made it through the gauntlet, perhaps it could be a trilogy once more. Pitt told THR during the Moscow premiere that “There is enough [for a sequel] to mine from the book. We could barely get a fraction of the book in. So we’ll see. We’ll see.”
Fans of Max Brooks’ novel will likely be happy to hear this news considering how the first movie didn’t slavishly follow the novel’s structure, and now the filmmakers could easily go back and incorporate elements that never made it into the first movie in future installments. But will Forster return? The Quantum of Solace director reportedly had an on-set feud with his star and reports claimed the two weren’t on speaking terms (he’s denied those reports), and if Pitt comes back – which would also be notable, considering the Ocean’s trilogy are the only sequels he’s done so far – it might cause a difficult working environment for another big production.
Frankly, Forster is not the most important part of this equation. If you can hire a solid writer (Damon Lindelof and Drew Goddard reportedly fixed the film’s disappointing original ending by creating everything from when Pitt boards the plane in Jerusalem onward) and bring back your lead star, the director’s chair can be filled by any number of talented people. If Forster tries to play hardball in negotiations with the studio, they should definitely pass the directing gig to someone else with a better sense of how to handle action, considering his nauseating shaky cam was not a good pairing with this film’s 3D.
Who do you think should direct a World War Z sequel? Should Pitt come back at all? Sound off below.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014