Just one day after Paramount Pictures set Hollywood’s most in-demand found footage screenwriters to pen their Paranormal Activity 5, the studio has now found a director for the project. And, no, it won’t be the Catfish guys again (though those two did a hell of a job making oscillating fans and large sheets look incredibly terrifying).
But while the new director might not be recognizable in the traditional sense, he’s been a big member of the PA family for quite some time. Editor and producer Gregory Plotkin will make his directorial debut on the film, after editing the last four films (including the upcoming spin-off, Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones) and co-producing the last three films. As Deadline Hollywood reports it, Plotkin has become increasingly more involved with the films, so it makes sense that Paramount would want to move someone so familiar with the franchise behind the camera to continue their blockbuster series.
Though the film will be Plotkin’s first directing gig, he’s got a long resume packed with editing jobs on some extremely varied films, from He’s Just Not That Into You to Pay It Forward to The Insider, all the way down to Flipper and Weekend At Bernie’s II. No, you’re not imagining things, Plotkin’s resume really is that intensely insane. Good for him.
The film will open in October of 2014. Are you still interested in this franchise, or has it run its course? Sound off below.
Latest posts by Kate Erbland (see all)
- Review: ‘Horrible Bosses 2’ Owes Everything to Strong Cast Chemistry, Not Recycled Plot - November 25, 2014
- Review: Haunting ‘Foxcatcher’ Hunts Down the Depths of the American Dream [NYFF] - November 14, 2014
- Review: ‘Big Hero 6’ Is the World’s Most Effective Baymax Delivery System - November 6, 2014
- Review: Miles Teller Pounds His Way Into Stunning, Drumming New Levels in ‘Whiplash’ - October 10, 2014
- Review: Overwrought ‘Maps to the Stars’ Can’t Stay on Course [NYFF] - October 6, 2014