If you could see my face right now, you’d probably break out into laughter because I have got the biggest, dumb happy smile plastered on right now thanks to this news.
Often celebrated as being one of the best films of all time, director Paul Thomas Anderson’s There Will Be Blood is memorable because of its searingly dark script, gorgeous cinematography from Robert Elswit, and spellbinding performance from Daniel Day-Lewis in the lead role, which gave the actor his second Academy Award. When you watch the film, it’s not hard to see why either.
News came several months ago that a possible reunion between PTA and Day-Lewis was in the works as well, and it looks like they may be more than just rumors and hopeful speculation now, thank goodness.
Deadline is reporting that Universal Pictures and Focus Features have made a joint deal for the new film from Anderson, after a heated competition with Fox Searchlight. Focus will finance the film for $35 million, with a late 2017 release date planned, and production set to begin early next year.
The still untitled film is set to take place in the 1950s London fashion industry, with Day-Lewis playing the lead role in the film, and no other details about it being released as of yet.
Despite his last masterpiece, Inherent Vice, being met with mixed reactions from general audiences and the film not doing incredibly well financially either, PTA is one of those few directors who became a success in the industry before the tide started to change more in favor of blockbuster and franchises, during the mid 90s original film boom. Though, the inclusion of Day-Lewis’ name here was also likely another helpful draw for studios when it came to producing and financing the new project.
With all of that being said though, the only thing that really matters right now is that one of the greatest American directors is going to be bringing us yet another new film next year, and if that isn’t cause for celebration amongst the film community, then I don’t know what is.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016