With the release of The Jungle Book in theatres today, Disney has unveiled a new image from their other live-action adaptation set to hit theatres later this year with Pete’s Dragon, directed by David Lowery (Ain’t Them Bodies Saints) and starring Bryce Dallas Howard and Robert Redford.
After already teasing the titular creature quite a bit both in its posters and official teaser trailer, the new image (via EW) gives us our first full on look at the dragon himself in the newest iteration, and he’s furry, green, big, and absolutely adorable. It looks like a Disney cartoon brought to life in a live-action world, and not at all in a bad way.
Check out the image below:
Lowery has always managed to bring a bit of an interesting visual style to almost all of his projects, and I’m not surprised that the dragon itself looks so cool here, which also makes Disney’s recent choice to have the filmmaker helm their next Peter Pan live-action iteration all that more reasonable.
With an impressive cast, Pete’s Dragon sounds like it has the potential to be a legitimately interesting and refreshing take on the original story, something that The Jungle Book already has done this year as well. Following Jon Favreau’s latest though, the film will also have some mighty high expectations to live up to, but here’s to hoping Disney can hit a homerun once again in their live-action adaptation department with this one.
If not, at least the dragon is cool.
Pete’s Dragon is set to hit theatres on August 12th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016