It was reported today that horror icon Angus Scrimm has passed away at age 89.
He was best known in the horror community for using his towering physical presence to fantastically play the role of the “Tall Man” in the Phantasm films.
The actor also enjoyed many other talents including working with multiple entertainment publications and even won a grammy award for best album liner notes while working with Capitol Records.
He brought his talents to many film roles over the years such as Subspecies, I Sell The Dead, Deadfall and Mindwarp as well as several re-occurring television roles including the role of Calvin McCullough in J.J. Abrams’ Alias. Abrams is currently in the process of supervising the restoration of the original Phantasm film.
It was his longtime friend and Phantasm director Don Coscarelli who informed Entertainment Weekly of his passing:
Angus Scrimm passed away peacefully tonight surrounded by his friends and loved ones. He was 89 years old. His performance as the Tall Man is a towering achievement in horror film history. He was the last in a long line of classic horror movie stars. Angus was a terrific actor and an even better friend. He will be missed.
Scrimm will appear once more as the infamous and terrifying “The Tall Man” in Phantasm V: Ravager, due for release sometime this year. We’re looking forward to seeing him again grace the character and know that he will be dearly missed by his many friends and fans.
Latest posts by Mike Holtz (see all)
- ‘Funny Or Die’ Just Dropped A Movie Starring Johnny Depp as Donald Trump - February 10, 2016
- Get Ready To Play A Little Game: ‘Saw: Legacy’ Is Happening - February 10, 2016
- Johnny Depp To Star In Upcoming Monster Movie Revival ‘The Invisible Man’ - February 10, 2016
- We’re Getting A New Full Length ‘Batman V. Superman’ Trailer Very Soon - February 7, 2016
- The Newest Teaser Trailer For ‘Daredevil Season 2′ Is Here - February 7, 2016