After the well-deserved success of this year’s The LEGO Movie, Warner Bros. set plans for a sequel in motion. It was originally going to be directed by “Robot Chicken” director Chris McKay, who served as the animation supervisor on the original LEGO Movie, but when WB announced their upcoming slate of DC Comics films, those plans changed. Now McKay will direct a LEGO Batman spinoff film starring Will Arnett, which has taken The LEGO Movie 2’s release date. And now according to Deadline, LEGO Movie writer/directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller are returning to write the sequel.
This is great news for anyone who loved the first movie. Lord and Miller are creative geniuses who have made a career of turning seemingly bad ideas into fantastic end results (21 Jump Street, anyone?), and while they were always slated to return to this film as producers, I’m thrilled to hear that they’ll be back in a much heavier capacity to write the screenplay. There’s also a chance they could end up directing this one, too – no director is set yet, and since this movie has been bumped back to 2018 to make room for the Batman spinoff, that’s a lot of time to figure out who will be calling the shots this time around. This will be the second sequel for Lord and Miller, following this year’s 22 Jump Street. There’s also a LEGO Ninjago movie planned for 2016 that they’ll produce, so prepare yourselves for a whole lot of LEGO on the big screen in the coming years. I just hope Lord and Miller are involved with as much of it as possible.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014