Well, here we are with Moana, another Disney animated film and with it a handful of musical earworms. They’re courtesy of Lin-Manuel Miranda, most famous for James Corden’s “Carpool Karaoke” and some Broadway play.
So what better way to acknowledge the newest additions to Disney’s musical arsenal than taking a step back and celebrating 13 of the best songs the animated Disney films have to offer?
13. A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes – Cinderella (1950)
What can I say for our first song? It’s classic Disney at its best. A simple melody and soothing vocals bolster one of the film’s central themes.
12. What’s This – The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
A nice change of pace from the preceding spookiness, this song is brimming with holiday energy and an infectious sense of joyous discovery.
11. How Far I’ll Go – Moana (2016)
A newer addition to the Disney library and the impetus for this list, this impassioned tune by a girl on the verge of adventure harkens back to the similar tunes of Disney past.
10. I’ll Make A Man Out Of You – Mulan (1998)
Finding a Millennial who doesn’t know all the words to this song and can’t sing the whole thing at a moments’ notice is almost impossible.
Look, you’re humming it right now.
9. Part of Your World – The Little Mermaid (1989)
Look, we get it, Disney princesses all want “more” and express that in song. And while the sentiment is no different here, Ariel’s unbridled passion here is enough to make you want more.
8. I Won’t Say (I’m In Love) – Hercules (1997)
While most of Disney’s romantic ballads are about the female lead professing their love for the male lead, this snazzy tune does the opposite in style.
7. Hellfire – The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
I didn’t say they would all be fun.
What better way to represent the film based on Victor Hugo’s classic story than with a song about a religious judge struggling with his sinful desire for a criminal and avoiding blame by threatening to burn down Paris?
Maybe I should have gone with the song where the gargoyles give romantic advice.
6. Let It Go – Frozen (2013)
I know it. You know it. The world knows it.
5. Beauty and the Beast – Beauty and he Beast (1991)
Angela Lansbury is a treasure and every opportunity to say so should be taken. The scene itself is easily one of the most iconic in all of film and the song elevates it beautifully.
4. The Circle of Life – The Lion King (1994)
“Pink pajamas, penguins on the bottom …”
The second the song blasts into your life, you know this movie will be different. Powerful, moving, and delicate yet epic, this song sets the stage perfectly.
3. A Whole New World – Aladdin (1992)
Another song for a princess who wants “more,” this song is more about her learning about the different places and experiences she didn’t even know she wanted.
2. Colors of the Wind – Pocahontas (1995)
This is simply one of the most stunning moments Disney has offered us, visually and musically. The animation, the music, the message, the emotion, I can’t get enough of it.
1. When You Wish Upon A Star – Pinocchio (1940)
Honestly, what did you think it would be? This literally plays before every Disney movie and has for the past 500 years. It’s a nice tune in and of itself, but it also represents everything that Disney stands for. I
t truly is the perfect Disney song in every respect.
Well, those are some of my picks. Some of my favorites didn’t even make the cut so I know I missed some of yours, so let us know or “let it go.”
I’m sorry, we can’t ever escape that song.
Latest posts by Matt Brown (see all)
- Why I Love The Fast And Furious Films - April 23, 2017
- Ranking 13 Best Villain Songs - March 26, 2017
- My Oscar Predictions: Who Will Win vs. Who Should Win - February 24, 2017
- The Envelope Please: 2017 Oscar Nomination Picks - January 23, 2017
- Hollywood’s Top 10 Movie Scenes Of 2016 - January 22, 2017