“A place to drink, a place to meet, a place to rest your hairy feet.”
If you and your friends always wanted to travel to Hobbiton to recreate the moment between Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin from Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King where they toss back a half pint at The Green Dragon after the harrowing journey to destroy the ring and save Middle Earth, now’s your chance!!
Located near Matamata, the famous Hobbit set was built in 1998 by Peter Jackson and New Line Cinema for the films and the nearby Hobbiton been open to the public as a tourist village since 2002. In preparation for the upcoming Hobbit trilogy, Hobbiton underwent some renovation to include 44 “Hobbit Holes,” featuring the trademark circular doors LOTR fans know and love.
Hoping to make your experience more “Hobbit-like”, The Green Dragon opened their doors late last month with New Zealand’s Prime Minister John Key christening the place with an appropriately themed “chain cutting” ceremony.
The Green Dragon’s manager Russell Alexander estimates that with the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (opening worldwide in theatres today), the film will bring in around 100,000 visitors over the next year which is huge, considering 300,000 have visited the beloved village over the last decade!
And if THAT weren’t enough, Hobbiton Board director and former Tourism New Zealand boss George Hickton said “that in future it may be possible to convert the facility to allow for overnight stays.”
So skip that second breakfast, start saving your money, get your passport together and I’ll see you down the pub!
For more about this amazeballa new pub, visit their official Facebook page!
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015