Today marks the 50th anniversary of Gene Roddenberry’s Star Trek, one of the most enduring and beloved properties in all of pop culture history, which transcended just its sci-fi genre to become something unforgettable, with an impact in the world that has been (and continues to be) indescribable.
To celebrate the wondrous occasion as well, The Roddenberry Foundation has announced today, the new Roddenberry Prize, an annual sum of $1 million dollars given in support of innovative and daring solutions needed to help face some of the greatest challenges facing humanity today. The announcement comes today from Eugene “Rod” Roddenberry, the son of Gene Roddenberry himself.
The prize is made up of one $400,000 grand prize in addition to four $150,000 innovation awards, that will be disbursed to five recipients that all compliment several of the foundation’s new initiatives. Keeping in line with the true spirit of Trek as well, the Roddenberry Prize will be made available to anyone, whether it be well-known institutions to everyday inventors who have a great idea of how to help build a better future for humanity.
This comes as part of the Roddenberry Foundation’s #BoldlyBetter campaign, which hopes to boost the public’s interest and passion in building a “boldly better” future like the one Gene Roddenberry envisioned all those decades ago. The Prize application period is open today until it closes on November 16th, 2016. Winners will be announced in January 2017 (following an extensive selection process by a judges panel) in conjunction with the premiere of Star Trek: Discovery.
You can find all the info you’ll need to apply for the Prize by visiting its official website, which went live today.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016