Fans won’t be getting their next installment of the “Skywalker Saga” until the end of 2017, when Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII hits theaters, but that doesn’t mean we can’t look forward to more Star Wars in the meantime. Godzilla director Gareth Edwards has been hard at work on Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, and although the first teaser trailer practically set the internet on fire, a new report indicates that things may not be going too well behind the scenes.
The news comes from the New York Post’s gossip column, Page Six, who claims that the upcoming spinoff film is “in crisis” after Disney executives were less than thrilled with an early cut of the film:
The much-anticipated “Rogue One” is due for release on Dec. 16, but we’re told bosses at Disney are not fully satisfied with the first cut from director Gareth Edwards.
One Hollywood source told us, “The execs at Disney are not happy with the movie, and ‘Rogue One’ will have to go back into four weeks of expensive reshoots in July… Gareth’s work on the first ‘Godzilla’ shows he can handle a big studio blockbuster. But ‘Rogue One’ has fallen short of what J.J. Abrams did with ‘Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens.’ So Disney has ordered reshoots.”
Before dismissing the story as rumor and speculation, it’s worth noting that Page Six broke the news of Alden Ehrenreich’s casting as the young Han Solo before any other outlet – so they obviously have some highly-placed sources. However, it also bears mentioning that most – if not all – major Hollywood blockbusters have reshoots built into their schedules to begin with. In fact, a Disney source even confirms this to Page Six:
“The filmmaking team and the studio always anticipated additional shooting and second unit work to make the film the absolute best it can be, and the actors were aware there would be additional shooting. Coming off ‘The Force Awakens,’ there’s an incredibly high bar for this movie and we have a responsibility to the franchise and to the fans to deliver the best possible movie we can.”
So with that in mind, it’s difficult to know exactly how to take this news. After all, there was a ton of buzz about the Suicide Squad reshoots earlier this year, with internet conspiracy theorists insisting that Warner Bros. scraped the entire cast back together to inject more humor into the film, in the wake of Batman v Superman‘s underwhelming reviews. But from a logistics standpoint, the studio couldn’t possibly have re-assembled such a massive ensemble cast on such short notice – the reshoots would had to have been on the schedule already – and director David Ayer later confirmed that the new footage was mostly to up the ante on the film’s action-packed climax, rather than to squeeze in a few more jokes.
I totally buy the fact that Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will be going in for reshoots this summer, but I’m not sold on the idea that the reshoots are solely based on Disney’s displeasure with the film. On a project of this scale, I would think the studio would have stepped in to correct the course long before Edwards had finished principal photography, so until this gets corroborated by a few other sources, I’m taking this with a pretty good-sized grain of salt.
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story will hit theaters on December 16.
Latest posts by Brent Hankins (see all)
- ‘Aliens’ Influenced ‘John Wick 2,’ Director Says - October 23, 2016
- ‘Jessica Jones’ Hires All-Female Director Line-Up For Season 2 - October 23, 2016
- Fox Developing Wrestling Comedy From Dwayne Johnson - October 23, 2016
- Director Tim Miller Leaves ‘Deadpool 2′ - October 22, 2016
- Michael Dougherty Could Helm ‘Godzilla 2′ - October 22, 2016