Rooney Mara has gone from the girl with the dragon tattoo to a Neverland princess. The Wrap reports she’s signed on to play Tiger Lily, princess of the natives of Neverland, in the upcoming incarnation of J.M. Barrie’s beloved boy who refuses to grow up, called Pan.
Ice Age: Continental Drift‘s Jason Fuchs handled the screenplay this time around and as we’ve written about before, this will be a Peter Pan origin story. And with Joe Wright’s familiarity with filming period pieces (Atonement, Pride And Prejudice) as well as intense, close-quarters combat action (Hanna), this could be something quite interesting.
Apparently the producers are hoping the cast will be “very international and multi-racial,” and they’ve already cast Hugh Jackman as Blackbeard and Tron: Legacy‘s Garett Hedlund as Captain Hook. HOWEVER, I’m not sure how down I am with Mara playing a role that probably should have gone to a Native American actor (and yes, they DO exist). After what happened with the controversy around Johnny Depp’s version of Tonto in Disney’s The Lone Ranger, this Tiger Lily situation could end up causing some problems for WB before they even call “action” on the first take.
Pan is slated for a July 17, 2015 release.
I really want to know your thoughts on this casting!
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015