Rumor: J.J. Abrams Might Not Direct ‘Star Wars’ After All

By July 22, 2013
  0

Before we even get started with this conversation, I want to make it 100% clear that there has not been any official announcement about J.J. Abrams dropping out of directing the new Star Wars. It’s very possible (probable, even) that he’ll end up directing Episode VII. But let’s talk about what might happen if things don’t shake out like that.

Buried in a piece about Star Trek 3 potentially getting a new set of writers (Thor and X-Men: First Class writing duo Ashley Edward Miller and Zack Stentz, for those of you who are interested), Devin Faraci at Badass Digest says he’s been hearing “tons of rumors that JJ Abrams is on the verge of dropping out of Star Wars“. He says he’s been hearing whispers like this from insiders for a while now, and those whispers continued at Comic-Con. For context, Faraci cites the fact that Abrams didn’t want to shoot the new movie in England, but the director was overruled. However, that happened a while ago, and things have been quiet on the Star Wars front since.

Now, again, please don’t go running off and telling all your friends, “Abrams isn’t directing the new Star Wars!” because that’s not what we’re trying to encourage. Devin’s sources could be way off, and everything could be totally fine. This is far from ironclad – just Hollywood whispers that happen all the time. But when it’s about something as big as the new Star Wars, I thought it’d be interesting to just examine some of the information that we have at this point.

So considering for a second that this story might be true, let’s look at what we know that could back this up.

Point 1: Paramount still hasn’t announced a new director for Star Trek 3, and Zachary Quinto recently said that he expects the new Star Trek movie to start filming in 2014 with Abrams still at the helm.

Point 2: There haven’t been any reveals or official announcements about Star Wars in quite some time. That’s par for the course for the normally-secretive Abrams, and even though there wasn’t any Star Wars news revealed at Comic-Con this past weekend, many assumed there would be some kind of announcement at Disney’s own D23 Convention in Anaheim early next month. But on the D23 schedule, the only official mention of anything Star Wars-related involves a Darth Vader exhibit and a “Crash Course in the Force” panel from a Lucasfilm employee. (They’re likely just trying to keep the big reveals a surprise, but it’s interesting to note nonetheless.)

Point 3: As recently as last month, George Lucas hadn’t even spoken to J.J. Abrams about the new Star Wars movie. Seems like they at least would have had a conversation about it, right?

Not much to work with, and AGAIN, chances are everything is going to turn out just fine and exactly as we expected. But if there’s even the smallest chance that Abrams walks away, that would be an even bigger news story than when he got the gig in the first place and we don’t want to be completely blindsided if that happens.

What do you think? Are you excited to see Abrams’ vision for Episode VII? Would you rather he stick with the Trek universe and hand the Wars reins to someone else? Let us know below.

The following two tabs change content below.
Ben is a writer living in Los Angeles, California. His work has been featured at ScreenRant.com, FirstShowing.net, MySpace.com, GeekTyrant.com, and many more sites across the web. Some of his favorite movies include The Rocketeer, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy, Tombstone, Lucky Number Slevin, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Collateral, Double Indemnity, Back to the Future and The Prestige. Follow him on Twitter: @BenPears.