The Teen Titans are a seminal team in the history and legacy of DC Comics, largely because the characters, a band of heroes normally serving as sidekicks to more “major” heroes like Superman and Batman, have attracted some phenomenal creative teams over the past 35 years. With rumors continuing to swirl about a new, live-action TV series based on this team of characters, we may now have a greater idea of who exactly will fill out the initial roster.
According to a report from Nerdist, who claims to have seen a copy of a pilot script, the lineup of the Titans will be as follows:
- Dick Grayson/Robin – According to the report, the script characterizes Dick as just having had a falling out with Batman, and he spends his time working as a police detective in Boston, of all places. While the script apparently mentions that Dick is still using his Robin persona, it’s not too far outside the realm of possibility that the character may eventually adopt his later identity, Nightwing.
- Barbara Gordon – An interesting addition, to be sure, Barbara was not a member of any major incarnation of the Teen Titans or the Titans, and the report specifies that she isn’t known either as Oracle or Batgirl. Since she’s wheelchair-bound, though, Barbara does serve as the team’s resident computer expert and operator, giving her a very important role with a legacy from the comics from 1989-2011.
- Hawk and Dove – While also having limited connection to the overall history of the Titans, Hawk and Dove will be represented by their most recent comic book incarnations: Hank Hall as the abrasive and ill-tempered Hawk, and Dawn Granger, the more soft-spoken and peaceful of the two. The duo will apparently be in a romantic relationship in the pilot, but given their very different personalities, there will likely be a lot of dramatic fuel in these two alone.
- Rachel Roth/Raven – A Titans mainstay since the defining Marv Wolfman/George Pérez run in the 1980s, Raven will have taken up her Rachel Roth identity in an effort to have a more normal life, though there might be some “flourishes” that differ from the source material as tends to happen with comics-to-TV translations. Raven’s character history makes her a perfect fit for an ensemble like this one, and also opens up an entirely mystical element to the plotlines that can be explored if/when the series makes air. As an aside, I’m personally very glad that she’s included in the lineup.
- Koriand’r/Starfire – Also a mainstay from the defining Wolfman/Pérez run, Starfire allegedly appears at the end of the pilot script, but will likely be incorporated into the main cast should the pilot end up going to series. Comics fans will remember that Starfire and Dick Grayson eventually developed quite a romance between them that culminated in the characters’ marriage during the run in the 1980s, but Starfire is also a fascinating character, providing a wonderful alien perspective on the characters and situations that the team encounters. She also stands as a welcome addition, though hopefully the creative team behind the series will forego the temptation to change too much about her.
This is definitely an interesting lineup so far, and should provide some great dramatic fuel for the series if it manages to make it that far. While I’m personally disappointed that Cyborg or Beast Boy aren’t included, we’ll at least get to see Cyborg in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice as well as his own movie down the road. Hopefully, if this series comes to pass, Beast Boy can join the team at a later date. Overall, this should prove to be an interesting story if these details pan out, and you can certainly bet that we will be covering any new developments right here at GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015