We’ve known for awhile now that 20th Century Fox’s plans to expand their X-Men film franchise have included a new project focusing on Remy LaBeau, aka the X-Man Gambit. We’ve also known that actor Channing Tatum would be embodying the smooth talking Cajun, and that the film is likely to come sooner rather than later. Now, the project has a helmer, and will likely go into active production even sooner than expected.
According to Entertainment Weekly, director Rupert Wyatt (Rise of the Planet of the Apes) has taken the reins of Fox’s Gambit, which will star Tatum in the title role. While Gambit appeared in 2009’s X-Men Origins: Wolverine as played by actor Taylor Kitsch, the events of last year’s X-Men: Days of Future Past have irrevocably altered the film series’ continuity, and will feature a new iteration of the fan-favorite character, and will likely also have some noticeable differences form the version Kitsch played in 2009. Rumors continue to persist that Tatum wll make his debut as Gambit in next year’s X-Men: Apocalypse, but those rumors are as-yet unconfirmed.
Gambit will be produced by Tatum and his partner Reid Carolin, as well as longtime X-Men franchise producer Lauren Shuler-Donner and Days of Future Past screenwriter Simon Kinberg. It will be released on October 7th, 2016. For more on Gambit as the project continues to take form, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015