It’s well-known how dedicated Ryan Reynolds was and is to getting the Deadpool character right on the big screen, after being on the receiving end of a horrible adaptation in X-Men Origins: Wolverine and then struggling for six years to get the standalone film made by Fox. Whether it be his never-ending promotion and marketing for the film itself, or his adamance about making sure every aspect of the film stayed true to the character, it’s clear he was not going to let this one be a failure like before.
Unsurprisingly as well, yet another story of Reynolds making sure the film was done right has surfaced, and it plays into the film’s opening credits nod to the screenwriters.
As it turns out, Reynolds paid out of his own pocket to make sure that writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick were on set during filming of the movie, when the studio wouldn’t, the writing duo revealed while appearing on Geeking Out:
“We were on set every day. Interestingly, Ryan wanted us there, we were on the project for six years. It was really a core creative team of us, Ryan, and the director Tim Miller. Fox interestingly wouldn’t pay for us to be on set. Ryan Reynolds paid out of his own money, out of his own pocket.”
At this point, it’s hard to think of an actor who loves and is more dedicated to his comic book character than Reynolds, and I imagine making sure the film’s writers had a constant creative input during the making of it, was important for him to get. Besides the fact that, it was also just an incredibly nice thing to do for a duo that had spent just as much time trying to get the film made as he had.
Judging by the film’s record-breaking success as well, I’d say that all of this hard work and dedication paid off fairly well.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016