Although the slasher genre is often seen by many movie fans as a less than meritorious genre, 1996’s Scream was a bright spot for it. Directed by horror icon Wes Craven, Scream was largely lauded by critics upon its release and grossing over $173 million at the box office on a modest $15 million budget, Scream proved to be the beginning of a new franchise. While spawning three sequels, only 1997’s Scream 2 managed comparable success to the original film, and 2011’s Scream 4 signified the end of the franchise in its current form. Now, though, it’s about to find new life on the small screen.
Last night at the MTV Movie Awards (via Deadline), the network premiered the first trailer for “Scream: The TV Series.” The brief footage should certainly look familiar to fans of the film franchise, which could prove to be either a benefit or a detriment as the show gets ready to hit the air. See the trailer below.
The series is trying to seek a more modern conception, with a report from last year giving a brief synopsis for the pilot episode’s concept. It reads,
The pilot […] kicks off with a YouTube video going viral, which will have adverse repercussions for teenager Audrey and seemingly serve as the catalyst for a murder that opens up a window to [her] town’s troubled past.
“Scream: The TV Series” will be executive produced by franchise creator Wes Craven, along with “Arrow” producer Jaime Paglia, and will be a co-venture between MTV and the Weinstein Company’s Dimension TV. The first episode is set to premiere on June 30th. For more on “Scream: The TV Series” as it takes place, keep an eye on GeekNation!
Latest posts by Chris Clow (see all)
- Original ‘Mortal Kombat’ Film Turns 20 Years Old Today - August 18, 2015
- ‘Alien 5’ Production May Be Delayed by ‘Prometheus 2’ - August 18, 2015
- Hugh Jackman Teases Other Comics Characters, Berserker Rage - August 18, 2015
- 343 Industries Responds to Backlash Over No Split-Screen Gameplay in ‘Halo 5: Guardians’ - August 17, 2015
- First Look at ‘Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection’ on PS4 in New Story Trailer - August 17, 2015