Remember the 2011 “Rock Em Sock Em Robots on steroids” film Real Steel (starring Wolver- er, I mean Hugh Jackman)?
Here’s a refresher:
I thought it was a pretty decent film, but thought it needed less montage and more robot fighting…which I figured would happen with the planned sequel a couple of years later.
Then 2012 went by…then 2013…and now here we are in 2014 and there’s STILL no Real Steel 2 to speak of. Enter director Shawn Levy to shed some light on the 3 1/2-year-long mystery of the missing sequel.
Coming Soon caught up with Levy at TIFF – he was there to screen his new film This Is Where I Leave You (starring Jason Bateman and Tina Fey) – and asked Levy if a sequel is still in the works. Here’s what he had to say:
We have been quietly developing a sequel to Real Steel for three and a half years. We’ve come up with some great scripts but Hugh and I would only make it if the plot feels fresh, but also the character journeys feel fresh, and we’ve found both but never at the same time. It’s ongoing. I know the clock is ticking. That movie, weirdly, for a movie that did very well globally–it did okay domestically–but the love for Real Steel remains kind of unique as far as rabid fans who ask me all the time for another one. Hugh and I love that movie so if we can crack it, we’ll make it, but I have this sense that we better make that happen soon or frankly, the audience may not be there in the same way. So we shall see.
Sounds like IF there’s a sequel coming, we won’t see it until late 2015 or early 2016 at the earliest. Until then, enjoy the “Noisy Boy vs. Midas” fight from the first film!
What do you hope to see in the sequel (when and if it arrives)?
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015