Despite being delayed several months in order to avoid being dominated by Star Wars: Episode VIII in December 2017, Steven Spielberg’s film adaptation of Ready Player One, based on the beloved novel of the same name by Ernest Cline, is progressing nicely towards production.
THR is reporting that actor Simon Pegg is reportedly in talks to join the film’s cast as Ogden Morrow, the co-creator of Oasis, the virtual world in which the film takes place. Production on the film is set to begin in June of this year, with Cooke playing the film’s female lead, and Mendelssohn tapped to play the adaptation’s main villain as well.
The film will follow Sheridan’s character, a teenage boy, who embarks on a treasure hunt across a virtual world, competing against deadly and ruthless foes in order to find the grand prize left by the world’s creator following his death, which just so happens to be his entire fortune.
Listen, Ready Player One was already going to be an incredibly nerdy movie, despite some of Spielberg’s worrying comments from a few months ago, so casting Pegg, who is highly-regarded amongst the fan community, is a pretty smart move. Especially considering his last role onscreen was in Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens, even if you might not have known it was him.
Already surrounded by a small group of incredibly talented younger and older actors as well, Pegg joins what is quickly becoming one of the most interesting casts in Hollywood right now. Whether or not the adaptation will be able to capture the same kind of fun tone that made Cline’s novel so beloved in the first place will have to wait to be seen, but if one thing is for sure, it looks like Spielberg and co. are at least doing one hell of a job filling it out onscreen.
Ready Player One is set to hit theatres on March 30th, 2018.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016