A television continuation of the 1999 film Cruel Intentions is now officially dead, a month after NBC passed on the project, and just a week before Sony Pictures Television had to decide whether to keep Sarah Michelle Gellar under contract or not.
Although some outlets have called the proposed series a reboot, it actually was intended to be a continuation of the film that starred Gellar as well as Ryan Philippe, who currently stars in USA’s Shooter. The story was supposed to pick up some years after the original focused on Bash Casey, the son of Philippe’s character of Sebastian Valmont.
Gellar would have reprised her role of Kathryn Merteuil as she vies for control of the family company.
A pilot was filmed by Sony that featured Gellar, Taylor John Smith, Kate Levering and Samantha Logan, but it never moved beyond that.
Even after NBC said no, Sony tried to shop the project around to other outlets, according to Deadline, but it appears the production company couldn’t get any takers before the holidays, and chose instead to close it.
This might not be the end of the road for the project, which all was based on a Choderlos de Laclos novel. Sony still has television rights, and could try to develop it again, but possibly outside of the movie’s storyline.
The original film was written and directed by Roger Kumble based on de Laclos’ novel. It earned $75.8 million in worldwide box office, and Kumble himself returned to direct the pilot based on a screenplay he wrote with Lindsey Rosin and Jordan Ross.
Both Rosin and Ross also developed a stage musical parody of the film, which was slated for a revival last month.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- Finn Jones Defends ‘Iron Fist’ Against Bad Reviews - March 13, 2017
- ‘The 100’ Scrapes Up Fifth Season For The CW - March 13, 2017
- ‘Kong’ Crowned King Of Weekend Box Office - March 12, 2017
- ‘Avatar 2’ In 2018? ‘Not Happening,’ Cameron Says - March 10, 2017
- ‘Atlanta’ Star Zazie Beetz Plays Domino In ‘Deadpool 2’ - March 10, 2017