Last week, J.J. Abrams revealed that he, Bad Robot, and Paramount Pictures were “figuratively minutes away” from announcing a fourth installment in the rebooted Star Trek film series, during a press conference for this year’s Star Trek Beyond, the latest installment in the franchise. As it turns out, Abrams was being fairly literal with his estimation as well.
Today, Paramount, Bad Robot, and Skydance Pictures have officially announced Star Trek 4 to be currently in the works, with no release date set as of yet. Following the most recent rumors as well, Chris Hemsworth has been confirmed to be reprising his role as George Kirk in the film, the father that Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk never got to meet, but has spent a lifetime in the shadow of.
Here’s the small synopsis of the next installment’s story also:
In the next installment of the epic space adventure, Chris Pine’s Captain Kirk will cross paths with a man he never had a chance to meet, but whose legacy has haunted him since the day he was born: his father.
Chris Pine and the rest of the remaining cast are set to return for the film, with a screenplay being written by J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay. There is no word if Justin Lin will return to direct following his work on Beyond though, with the director already confirmed to be working on a sequel to Space Jam at Warner Bros.
This is a smart move for the studio to make, with Beyond opening in just a few days and being perhaps the most criticized film in the rebooted franchise to date, it shows a confidence on their part in the project. Considering the positive reviews that the movie has been receiving as well, it looks like Beyond may be able to give the rebooted films the kickstart they desperately needed after Into Darkness, even if I am slightly worried about the idea of dealing with Kirk’s relationship with his father yet again this time around.
Star Trek 4 does not currently have a release date, but Star Trek Beyond is set to hit theatres this Friday.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016