Heinz must be an upcoming sponsor of Star Trek: Discovery, because it seems good things come to those who wait.
If you didn’t get that, then congratulations on being young. But there is some wonder on how young we’ll all be by the time CBS All Access finally debuts the next Star Trek television series.
CBS head Les Moonves, however, says there’s no hurry. In fact, what was supposed to come in May? Fans should now expect in late summer or even early fall, according to The Hollywood Reporter.
“We’re not going to rush it in. There’s lots of post-production, but I’m very confident based on what I’ve seen so far.”
Discovery, which started filming in Toronto last month, was originally slated to debut in January. However, just before the departure of Bryan Fuller as showrunner, CBS bumped the series to May, instead giving The Good Wife spin-off The Good Fight the honor of being the subscription streaming service’s first scripted original series.
But even the May date seemed to be in limbo when CBS executives admitted the premiere date for Discovery remained “flexible.” The series is in the hands of newcomers Gretchen J. Berg and Aaron Harberts, who had past producing stints on shows like ABC’s Revenge and The CW’s Reign.
The series has picked up a number of actors for the show, with The Walking Dead‘s Sonequa Martin-Green leading the way.
CBS has sold Discovery in a number of international markets, and reportedly have as much as $100 million lined up in potential licensing revenue for the series. All of that money is just sitting and waiting for the series to actually premiere, which will take a similar route to The Good Fight and get a CBS network debut, with a followup episode on the streaming service.
Fans have eagerly awaited a new show. It will be the first premiere of a Star Trek series since Enterprise debuted in September 2001. It also will be the first new television episode in the Star Trek universe since Enterprise went off the air in 2005.
Since then, the company that owned Star Trek – Viacom – split, which broke up the rights to the franchise as well. CBS Corp. owns the television rights to Star Trek, as well as other merchandising, while Viacom has the film rights through its Paramount Pictures division. Since the split, the films have made $1.2 billion at the box office globally.
Star Trek: Beyond was Paramount’s biggest hit in 2016, despite earning $158.8 million domestically, the lowest of the Trek films since the J.J. Abrams reboot in 2009.
Star Trek: Enterprise lasted just four seasons on what was the last gasps of UPN before it was dissolved in favor of The CW. It starred Scott Bakula and Jolene Blalock, but suffered from poor ratings almost from its debut.
Discovery, which was co-created by Fuller and Star Trek film re-boot writer Alex Kurtzman, also stars Anthony Rapp, Michelle Yeoh and Doug Jones, and will feature Spock’s father Sarek, played by James Frain.
Latest posts by Michael Hinman (see all)
- Russia Makes ‘Power Rangers’ Adults Only - March 25, 2017
- Finn Jones Defends ‘Iron Fist’ Against Bad Reviews - March 13, 2017
- ‘The 100’ Scrapes Up Fifth Season For The CW - March 13, 2017
- ‘Kong’ Crowned King Of Weekend Box Office - March 12, 2017
- ‘Avatar 2’ In 2018? ‘Not Happening,’ Cameron Says - March 10, 2017