Another day, another bit of Star Wars “news” to over-analyze. Episode VII writer/director J.J. Abrams unveiled the Force for Change program and introduced fans to the opportunity of donating money to UNICEF with the chance to win a walk-on role in the new film. There’s been a bit of fun with these videos as the process continued, from Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert getting in on the fun, to a look at a new spaceship from the film, and now the contest is over and a winner has been chosen. But since this is J.J. Abrams and Bad Robot we’re talking about, the occasion didn’t pass without something for fans to go crazy about:
— Bad Robot (@bad_robot) August 11, 2014
The hand in the photo is what everyone’s up in arms (ha!) about. See, a rumor spread a while back that Episode VII would begin with – spoilers ahead – Luke Skywalker’s severed robotic hand floating through space, and now some are wondering if the hand in this photo is Luke’s. Some superfans are suggesting this is just the hand of a new droid, but with Abrams’ track record of tweeting cheeky information from the Bad Robot Twitter account (remember the Millennium Falcon?), I’d say there’s a chance this is Luke’s. Either that, or Abrams is indirectly addressing the rumor and just messing with fans who are hardcore enough to even notice and pay attention to the little details like this.
(Also, in case you’re interested, here’s the video of the guy who won the contest.)
What do you think? Is that Luke’s hand, or do you think it belongs to some random droid? Let us know in the comments below.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014