Bob Iger, Disney Chairman and COO of The Walt Disney Company, spoke to his shareholders in a meeting today and naturally, the topic of Star Wars: Episode VII came up. Iger didn’t reveal too much information – almost nothing at all, really – but because Disney and Lucasfilm have been notoriously tight-lipped about the J.J. Abrams-directed production, we’ll take what we can get at this point.
Iger revealed that the film will begin principal photography in May in London, and confirmed that the story will pick up about thirty years after the events of Return of the Jedi. That pretty much lines up with the time that’s elapsed between 1983 and now. StarWars.com has a press release that reiterates all of this information, and adds that the film will “star a trio of new young leads along with some very familiar faces.” That sounds as close to a confirmation that Hamill, Fisher, and Ford will return as anything we’ve heard so far, and though the presence of the original trilogy stars in this new movie is pretty much a given at this point, Iger refused to acknowledge it in today’s meeting. He said that the only confirmed cast member is R2-D2, who will be played by R2-D2.
So, like I said, not much “new” information. But at least it’s something, and with a May start date confirmed (just over six weeks away), we’ll likely be hearing some legitimate confirmations about who will be in the movie in the coming days.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014