After getting a prime holiday release at the end of last year, and breaking multiple box office records left and right in the months that have followed, Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens will finally be coming home… and by that we mean millions of living rooms around the world.
While speaking at the company’s annual meeting of shareholders, Chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, Bob Iger, officially announced (via StarWars.com)that The Force Awakens will be released digitally on April 1st before getting a blu ray and dvd release on April 5th. In addition to the blu ray specifications and special features revealed, the studio also released a new blu ray release trailer for the film as well.
Check out the new trailer:
So wait, there was a scene with Kylo Ren on the Millennium Falcon?
The blu ray will come with an in-depth, extensive documentary behind the making of the film (something that Star Wars fans everywhere are probably already looking forward to watching), deleted scenes from the film, exclusive interviews with the film’s cast and crew, and more. You can find the full list and descriptions of the included special features below (NOTE: Digital bonus offerings may vary):
- Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary.
- The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script.
- Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars universe.
- Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life.
- Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren.
- John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens.
- ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
- Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others.
- Plus Deleted Scenes
The film has grossed over $926 million domestic at the box office, and over $2.05 billion worldwide. It was nominated for five Academy Awards including Best Original Score and Best Visual Effects, and was featured in several lists as one of the best movies of 2015 (including ours).
Filming has already begun on Rian Johnson’s Star Wars: Episode VIII as well with a December 15th, 2017 release in mind. Until then, it looks like we’ll have plenty of Force Awakens-related content to keep us happy over the next two years or so.
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens will hit Blu Ray and DVD on April 1st, and you can pre order your own copy right here.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016