Star Wars: The Force Awakens has officially been in theaters for 16 days. To the surprise of literally no one, it’s spent every one of those days crushing box office records left and right. The latest record to fall? Titanic‘s record of $658.7 million, which made it the second highest grossing domestic film of all time. The Force Awakens total as of yesterday (via USA Today) stands at $686.4 million. Something tells me the film might make a few more dollars before all is said and done.
With that $686.4 million, Force Awakens also surpasses Jurassic World ($652.3 million) as the top grossing film of 2015. At this point, all that seems left is to topple Avatar, which still holds the domestic record ($760.5 million) as well as overall record ($2.7 billion). We won’t know the figures for this weekend until Monday, but so far Force Awakens stands at roughly $1.3 billion worldwide. Considering the rate the film has been taking in money, both records seem certain to fall eventually. It’s fun to witness history, isn’t it?
Star Wars: The Force Awakens is in theaters now. Go see it, like, 12 more times.
Make sure to keep checking back for updates – right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Joe Ruggirello (see all)
- Original ‘Ghostbusters’ Headed Back to the Big Screen - April 30, 2016
- John Krasinski Cast as Jack Ryan for Amazon TV - April 30, 2016
- RUMOR CENTRAL: Is James Wan Leaving Aquaman? - April 30, 2016
- Three New Character Posters Released for ‘Ghostbusters’ - April 24, 2016
- ‘Keanu – Kitten Please’ Trailer is Adorably Hilarious - April 23, 2016