Fans of Star Wars: The Force Awakens have been highly-anticipating the release of author J.W. Rinzler’s Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens novel, which was originally supposed to be released on shelves in March of 2016. Fans of Rinzler’s work, who wrote insightful pieces on the making of each of the previous Star Wars films, were looking forward to reading what had been set up as being the most extensive and revealing piece on the making of Episode VII to be released so far, after the film’s blu ray documentary left much to be desired for a majority of fans.
However, for those of you looking forward to reading the novel, it looks like if Rinzler’s comments are any indication, the novel may not be released anytime soon… if ever
/Film did some research into the matter and came across this interesting tweet from Rinzler’s Twitter account, when a fan asked him why their Amazon pre-order of the novel had been cancelled:
@Timtooine Yes, am asked this often, but book was canceled. You’ll have to ask Lucasfilm/Disney/publisher why…
— J. W. Rinzler (@jwrinzler) August 4, 2016
During an appearance on the GeekDad podcast as well, Rinzler had this to say about the mysterious future of Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens:
“There’s a lot of new information. They really didn’t release a lot of information. I don’t know what form the book is going to come out, and frankly, I don’t know if it’s coming out in October. Nobody has said that to me, and someone else has said it might be, and I checked with the publisher, and they said it’s news to them. So it might just be Amazon… Again, I don’t work there anymore, so I’m not privy to information, but I think they would have let me know. … It’s a compelling book, and you’d have to ask them why it’s been delayed.”
Rinzler’s works was applauded by fans because it not only provided them new insight into the films that they already loved (or hated), but they never seemed like they were sucking up to the films, filmmakers, or productions either, which makes you wonder why exactly Disney and Lucasfilm might have delayed the novel once again, or put a cancellation on the release altogether. It could be that some of the interviews revealed info about the rest of the films that they don’t want revealed yet (spoilers possibly), but it’s also possible that some of the interview subjects revealed somewhat negative details about the production as well.
Maybe the reason fans were most looking forward to reading the novel though, was because of its apparently much more detailed insights into George Lucas’ original treatments and story ideas for Episode VII, which the creator made waves about last year when he revealed that very little of his original ideas were used in the final version of The Force Awakens. Considering how little of details are known about Lucas’ original ideas as well, the thought of getting to find out more about the Star Wars creator’s thoughts on where the franchise should go next, was an exciting one, to say the least.
For right now, it seems like the future of Making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens is hanging in limbo, and we’re all just going to have to hope that sooner or later, we’ll get to see the 368 pages of info and insight that Rinzler assembled within it.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016