It’s strange to think about just how much from Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens we don’t know yet. By now, with almost any other blockbuster being released nowadays – we would have already gotten several full story trailers, scenes, and a lot of glimpses from the film’s final climax. But J.J. Abrams and Lucasfilm are clearly keeping the movie’s more important details as close to the chest as they can, and it’s clear that a large majority of the fandom appreciates them for it. Most of what we’ve actually seen from the movie involves small glimpses and tiny segments from several recurring sequences, but we haven’t actually seen any full footage from the movie yet.
However, with today being Force Friday, and every new toy for The Force Awakens hitting stores all over the world, it was almost inevitable that some new details and secrets from the movie would be revealed. We’ve already seen the first look at the back of Kylo Ren’s helmet, as well as the things it could mean, and it looks like we’re just now about to be able to put some voices to their faces… or masks I guess I should say.
After some new action figures of Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), Captain Phasma (Gwendoline Christie), and Finn (John Boyega) hit the shelves late last night, IGN and several Twitter users recorded the figures saying their lines, and letting fans hear what the three characters will sound like in the film for the first time. (Spoiler warning for those of you out there trying to know as little as possible from the film, you may want to avoid the rest of this article.)
First up, is Captain Phasma. Check out the video below (via David Popineau), as well as the lines she says, and my personal interpretations of it all:
— David Popineau (@davidpopineau) September 3, 2015
- “Fire FN2187.” (The number itself is actually a reference to Princess Leia’s detainment cell on the Death Star in A New Hope.)
- “Submit your blaster for inspection.”
- “Move to your ships, now.”
- “On my command.”
Now, a lot of it is just simple, captain commanding her underlings kind of lines. The “submit your blaster for inspection” line though could be said to Finn at one point in the film, as we know he’s a stormtrooper and could possibly be under close watch of Phasma in the film, as it’s already fairly clear that he’s having some misgivings about his position in the First Order. Or it could be a simple background line she gives to further assess her dominance. Just some food for thought.
Next up, is Finn’s action figure, and one of the first things to note is that while Boyega has a heavy British accent, it looks like his character sounds more American than anything else. Check out the video below:
- “We go back to Jakku and we die.”
- “Stay low and put up the shields.”
- “FN2187, I don’t, know what, to do!”
- “We need cover, quick!”
- “I never should have rescued you.”
- “Listen, I’ve had a pretty messed up day”
- “The name’s Finn, and I’m in charge now!”
First of all, I love the voice. The lines obviously hint at both Finn’s clearly panicked state at one point in the film, while also offering glimpses at the intimidating side that was seen in the most recent teaser. It’s unclear who he’s referring to rescuing, but it’s possible that he could be talking to either Rey or Poe, the two other heroes in the film.
However, considering that Rey looks like she’s saving Finn more than he’s saving her, and the Comic-Con footage showed Poe as a prisoner of the First Order, I might be leaning more towards the possibility of Finn rescuing Poe. The rest of the lines sound like things he might just be shouting during missions or action sequences in the film, and there’s not much to go on from there.
Finally, the one we’ve all been waiting for – Kylo Ren. Check out the video of his lines below (via IGN)
It is interesting that out of the three figures, Ren is equipped with the most recorded lines, and keeps feeding into just how much Disney and Lucasfilm are pushing Kylo Ren above almost all of their other characters. His lines are also the most interesting as well, which is why we’re going to go through them, one-by-one… (shoutout to /Film for the idea too)
- “I feel it too.” – It’s possible that he’s speaking to Andy Serkis’ Supreme Leader Snoke, and goes in line with Snoke’s voice over in the first teaser.
- “You know what I’ve come for.” – Most likely speaking to one of our main heroes here, but since the speculation leans towards him collecting ancient force relics, I’d say he’s either trying to steal Finn’s lightsaber that also happens to be Anakin and Luke Skywalker’s, or Rey’s staff that looks incredibly similar to Darth Plagueis’.
- “Together we will destroy the Resistance and the last Jedi.” – The way he says it makes me think he’s trying to tempt one our main three here, and if I were a betting man, I’m gonna say it’s Rey. Although, he could also be speaking to Snoke here.
- “Don’t fight it. You know you can’t.” – Again, a very “Sith trying to tempt a character on the light side” line here, and it’s most likely directed to Finn or Rey.
- “I am immune to the light.” – Simply stating his seemingly concrete stance in the Dark Side. Definitely bad ass.
- “We will send it away” – No idea what this could mean. Probably the most vague line out of the bunch.
- “I’ve been waiting for this day for a long time.” – This could be interpreted a number of ways, but I personally believe he’s talking to Luke (Mark Hamill) here. I think that Kylo Ren is either obsessed with the Skywalker line and just itching to destroy “the last Jedi”, or there’s a much deeper connection between the two characters than most people think. I’m hoping for the latter.
- “Is it true, you’re just a scavenger.” – It’s pretty clear who he’s speaking to here, and I cannot wait to see this confrontation between him and Rey. Especially considering the possibility that he’s trying to steal Plagueis’ staff from her. However, it does make it sound like she’s been built up in Kylo’s mind up until this point, and it’ll be interesting to see what leads him to her in the film.
- “That weapon is mine.” – Again, he’s gotta be speaking to either Finn or Rey, but judging by the fact that he seems to be yelling when he delivers the line, there’s a high possibility that this is taking place during the final battle of the film.
- “Don’t be afraid.” – I have no idea who he’s talking to here, or what the context is for this. But the way he says it, and the line itself are so cool that that’s good enough for me.
It’s hard not to speculate on everything humanly related to Star Wars at this point, and it seems slightly ridiculous to create this long of a write-up based on pre-recorded lines that toys say. However, it also reminds me of just how strong a love for a property or its characters can be. We haven’t even seen anything from most of the main characters in the film, and yet it already seems like the fandom has accepted them into the Star Wars legacy with open arms.
To people who don’t really know what it’s like to love a movie about characters fighting in space with made-up names and swords made out of lasers, this might seem like a waste of time. But for me and I think many of you out there right now, it’s times like these that remind me why I love to be a fan.
Star Wars: Episode VII – The Force Awakens is set to be released on December 18th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016