Earlier this summer, The Fault In Our Stars director Josh Boone was getting excited about his planned three-hour, R-rated adaptation of Stephen King’s The Stand. Oh, but how a few months can change everything.
I went and got [Stephen] King sold on it, everybody’s really excited…I told the story non-linear and that was the way I was able to compress that book and get everything into that script. You open with Mother Abigail dying and sending the guys off, and then you jump back in time… So what happened is the script gets finished, I write it in like five months, everybody loves it, King loves it, $87 million is what it was budgeted at, really expensive for a horror drama that doesn’t have set pieces.
So what happened? Well, it turns out that WB is looking for more of an event/franchise type of situation, and instead of a single $87 million film that doesn’t have the type of action and set pieces that will play well to the international crowd (a demographic which has quickly become just as, if not MORE important than domestic audiences), they wanted to try something else instead.
They came back and said “would you do it as multiple films?” and I said “fuck yes!” I loved my script, and I was willing to drop it in an instant because you’re able to do an even truer version that way. So I think we are going to do like four movies. I can’t tell you anything about how we’re going to do them, or what’s going to be in which movie. I’ll just say we are going to do four movies, and we’re going to do THE STAND at the highest level you can do it at, with a cast that’s going to blow people’s minds. We’ve already been talking to lots of people, and have people on board in certain roles that people don’t know about. We’re looking to go into production next year, maybe in the spring.
That sounds very ambitious, and a jump from a single film to four movies is a massive leap. You’re going from three hours to somewhere in the range of 7-10 hours, which is essentially a modern serialized television miniseries playing out in theaters instead of at home. But it sounds like Boone is excited about this new incarnation of the story, and I’m very intrigued at who he has in mind for this A-list cast he keeps hyping. Will that include Matthew McConaughey? Hopefully we won’t have to wait too long to find out.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014