Though Stephen Lang’s Colonel Quaritch took a couple of giant arrows to the chest and “died” at the end of Avatar, Deadline reports that James Cameron is bringing the actor (and character) back for the three new Avatar sequels he’s currently working on. Cameron spoke fondly about working with Lang:
Stephen was so memorable in the first film, we’re privileged to have him back. I’m not going to say exactly HOW we’re bringing him back, but it’s a science fiction story, after all. His character will evolve into really unexpected places across the arc of our new three-film saga. I really look forward to working with such a gifted actor, who’s also become a good friend.
“Unexpected places,” eh? Following his “death,” could Quaritch become one with that tree mother spirit thing, see the errors of his ways, and somehow take on a Na’vi persona, joining forces with Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, and the rest of the good guys? We know Sigourney Weaver is coming back, and she also “died” in the first film, so there’s a precedent for resurrection in this franchise.
Worthington recently confirmed that production on the three sequels will begin in October of 2014, so Cameron and his team have their work cut out for them working on a narrative that will please everyone this time out. Seems like they have some ideas regarding Quaritch, but we’ll see who the new bad guy is this time out. Might there be some truth to those rumors about Arnold Schwarzenegger joining as a baddie? Time will tell.
Latest posts by Ben Pearson (see all)
- Amy Adams to Play Janis Joplin in Biopic for Jean-Marc Vallée - November 21, 2014
- Channing Tatum to Make Directorial Debut on ‘Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock’ - November 21, 2014
- Stephen King’s ‘The Stand’ Will Now Be Adapted As Four Movies - November 21, 2014
- Penelope Cruz Joins The Long-Awaited ‘Zoolander 2’ - November 20, 2014
- ‘Better Call Saul’ Gets A Premiere Date & A New Trailer - November 20, 2014