It was recently revealed that despite the onscreen departure from her usual comic book and video game costumes, there would be nods and references to Harley Quinn’s other looks in this year’s Suicide Squad, with the possibility open for Harley’s onscreen costume to change and evolve over time. Though where exactly her character will go from Suicide Squad is a mystery right now, despite reports that WB may already be developing a Harley spin-off film.
Now, with the film’s theatrical release just a few short weeks away, a new piece of concept art from Suicide Squad has been revealed, that shows two much different looks for Harley in the film, that aren’t all that similar to her comic book costumes either.
Check out the artwork below (via Entertainment Weekly):
Costume designer Kate Hawley revealed that Courtney Love, Debbie Harry, and Patti Smith were all inspirations for Harley’s design in the film, and the punk rock inspirations aren’t all that hard to see either. Hawley went on to talk about the creative team’s process behind choosing her final look in the movie:
“She’s a girl’s hero. It was understanding how do we make her feel sexy by owning it as opposed to what a man thinks is sexy.”
The Suicide Squad version of Harley’s costume fits in with director David Ayer’s style and aesthetic choices if we’re being completely honest, and the maneuverability of it seems to have played a a major factor in the design as well, since Robbie would have to be doing quite a fair amount of physical stunts and fights in the movie. Hopefully though, we’ll eventually get to see her assume a look that’s a bit more reminiscent of what fans have come to know and love in the comics, TV show, or video games.
Suicide Squad is set to hit theatres on August 5th.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016