Fans were surprised earlier this week when Suicide Squad, the film that had been built up as being a possible saving grace for the DCEU, was met with a swarm of negative reviews, on the same level as Batman v Superman‘s earlier this year. Directed by David Ayer, Squad looked like a ballsy, unique, and invigorating addition to the superhero genre, that by many fans and critics has been called a mess, incoherent, and overall disappointing.
Considering the financial disappointment that Dawn of Justice ended up being, and the millions of dollars that WB had fed into the film’s reshoots, this new wave of negativity was not met with confidence, as many wondered if it could at all affect the movie’s financial legs at the box office as well, severely hurting the DCEU once again.
Well, it looks like so far, the answer is no as Suicide Squad brought in a record-breaking $20.5 million in its Thursday night preview numbers. Not only is that the biggest August opening day in history, but it’s also the 13th highest preview showing of all time. This isn’t even counting the $30 million that the film has made overseas so far either, and the $125 million it’s expected to receive opening weekend.
It should be noted right away that Batman v Superman had a very large and successful opening weekend as well though, but teetered out big time in the following weeks, so it’s the legs on Suicide Squad that’ll really end up mattering in the end.
With that being said, the anticipation going for Suicide Squad right now dwarfs what Batman v Superman had even, and I think that the curiosity to see what Suicide Squad is even like could seriously help it in the end. We’ll have to wait and see, but this is going to be a movie where the initial reactions either sink it, or don’t really end up mattering in the end.
Suicide Squad is in theatres everywhere now.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016