There were a lot of problems with how Suicide Squad chose to develop a number of its characters, with some histories being completely passed over, others being the victims of poor editing choices (looking at you, Harley and The Joker), and others you could tell, were never even going to be explained in the first place. No matter how frustrating that may sound and be for viewers.
For Karen Fukuhara’s Katana, you got the feeling that she fell into the latter option, being introduced quickly and haphazardly right before the team’s mission, with Rick Flag (Joel Kinnaman) giving brief, strange descriptions of her skills and her sword.
While speaking at the Rose City Comic-Con though (via 411Mania), Fukuhara showed an enthusiasm towards getting to explore Katana’s backstory more in a Suicide Squad sequel:
“For the first movie I think we did a really good job of showing snippets of each character’s past and history, but it was just a glimpse. And for the sequel I’d like to show a lot more about her relationship with Soultaker, her sword, and her relationship with her husband and where she came from.”
Right now, I think fans are more concerned about seeing a director’s cut of the film, than they are a sequel. However, we know that Warner Bros. was working on a sequel for the film long before it was even released, and while it’s difficult to know where are those plans are at now after the film’s negative critical reception and mixed reactions from fans.
Whenever we do end up seeing a Suicide Squad sequel though, it’ll be interesting to see if we get all of the same characters again, or if some of them will be left/replaced. Unfortunately, I don’t think Katana’s place in the Squad was necessarily cemented all that well in the first film, so I could see her future in the franchise, going either way.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016