When Playboy Magazine interviewed comic book writer Grant Morrison about the many characters and stories he has written (“The Super Psyche” by Gavin Edwards), he offered many clever insights until it came to Batman. Of the Dark Knight, all he had to say was that Bruce Wayne is a rich guy who beats up poor people (interesting thought) and that the key to understanding Batman is that there’s something “very, very gay” about Batman stories, although he acknowledges Batman’s heterosexuality.
Playboy invited me to respond. Their editor just told me that my response appeared in the July/August issue, which came out last week. Essentially I express my disappointment that he offered no greater insights than that. When it came to his remarks about Wonder Woman, I acknowledged that her creator, William Moulton Marston, a.k.a. Charles Moulton, really was into bondage, but as a psychologist, I felt obliged to point out an error on Grant’s part: Marston was a psychologist, not a psychiatrist.
Latest posts by Superherologist (see all)
- Warehouse 13’s Fourth Season Premieres! - July 24, 2012
- Batmobiles at Comic-Con: How Many Do You Know? - July 18, 2012
- The Dark Knight Rises: Who Lives? Who Dies? Who Falls? - July 18, 2012
- Thursday at Comic-Con: GN Contributor Panels! - July 12, 2012
- Catwomen from Hollywood - July 9, 2012