No other film at this year’s Sundance Film Festival received as much positive buzz and hype than Nate Parker’s directorial debut, The Birth of a Nation, which tells the true life story of Nat Turner’s slave rebellion. Praised as being a moving, brutal retelling of the well-known story, the film was bought for the most money in Sundance history by Fox Searchlight and in the past few months has become a major contender in this year’s awards season.
With a prime release date in October as well, the film has remained a steady presence in movie lovers’ minds over the past few months and today, Fox Searchlight has unveiled the first riveting teaser trailer for the film. Check it out below:
If you’ll allow to really show my movie geek side for a minute here – I love Parker’s framing and composition in this trailer. The way that he’s shooting some of the sequences here is really interesting and the style seems to be blending well with Elliot Davis’ cinematography.
More than anything else though, the film seems to be charged by Parker’s own energy and charisma both in front of and behind the camera, and it seems like he’s brought the same kind of ferocious intensity and energy to the film that’s always made really skilled first time directors stand out from the pack (look at PTA in Hard Eight, or even Tarantino with Reservoir Dogs). At this point, the biggest problem that The Birth of a Nation is facing is being able to live up to its own hype, but if this trailer is any indication, it may be able to do just that.
The Birth of a Nation is set to hit theatres on October 7th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016