There’s been quite a few, interesting tidbits coming out of Chuck Wendig’s Aftermath: Life Debt, the newest Star Wars novel ever since its official release yesterday. Aside from some of the bigger confirmations though, like Han and Chewie’s origins being revealed in the new canon, the book also comes with some… smaller, but still shocking revelations nonetheless. This one though, might just take the cake for weirdest.
Warning: The rest of this post will contain spoilers for Aftermath: Life Debt…
In the novel, Dade, a Rebel commando has his leg blown off during a fight with Imperial ground forces. During his leg replacement recovery process at a New Republic medial center though, Dade is given a “therapy droid” named QT-9 to help him with PTSD, that sounds a lot like an earlier version of a BB droid.
However, where it gets really interesting is when Dade is offered a different alternative, when it comes to a recovery companion (via io9):
“Yeah, Doc, I see that, but why is there a droid here?”
“This is QT-9. He is your droid.”
Dade arches an eyebrow so high he’s pretty sure it hovers a few centimeters above his head. “I don’t recall owning a droid.”
“Think of it as renting one, except for free. QT-9 is a prototype therapy droid.”
“I don’t want a whatever-that-is.”
Arsad smirks. “I could put you in for a therapy Ewok, instead. Some of the native Endor creatures have agreed to travel offworld to help veterans like you recuperate. As a matter of recompense for saving their home.”
“Oh, yeah, I don’t want one of those. They smell horrible.”
Yeah, you read that correctly. The Ewoks are therapists to help recovering soldiers throughout the galaxy, in repayment to the Rebellion for saving their planet in Return of the Jedi. If you’re thinking about how ridiculous that seems as well, you’re 100% not alone either. I don’t think that “Yub Nub” is necessarily the best song to play to a soldier that’s just lost a limb if I’m being completely honest.
It’s in Life Debt though, so that means it’s canon. Yup. Therapy freaking Ewoks.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016