I’m not by any means the biggest Lord of the Rings/Hobbit fan. But heck, I had all 3 Extended DVDs for a short while, and while I have yet to watch part one of The Hobbit, I did read the story in high school (and of course, saw the Rankin-Bass 1970’s cartoon, complete with folk music.) Plus, who could forget the retelling of the tale of Bilbo Baggins, as told by Leonard Nimoy?
At any rate, on the heels of The Desolation of Smaug trailer comes a 6 minute featurette full of Hobbiton goodness. Peter Jackson and friends take you on a trip behind the scenes of Hobbiton, out in Matamata, New Zealand, and show you the evolution from the original 1999 LotR version, to the up to date Hobbit one. What they DON’T tell you is that the Hobbiton area is also available for tours (P.S.: be sure to ask for the “Sheep Shearing Experience.” They’re very comfortable shearing/castrating a sheep’s area.)
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug hits theaters this December. While we wait, I suggest doing what I’m going to do soon…rent The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey on DVD now!
Latest posts by John J. Galbo (see all)
- Bandai-Namco Summer Preview: Pac-Man 2, Moto GP, and More - August 7, 2014
- EA Games Summer Preview: Madden 15, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and More - July 18, 2014
- Game Review: Wolfenstein: The New Order - May 20, 2014
- Sony and Gallery1988 Celebrate ‘Ghostbusters’ 30th Anniversary with NYC Art Show - April 21, 2014
- Hands-On Preview: Pulling Back the Iron Curtain on ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ - February 27, 2014