Sony really, really wants to remake Jumanji.
Amidst fans of the original basically screaming at the top of their lungs “we don’t want this, please tell the bad man to stop now”, Sony recently said out loud they were looking at a 2016 Christmas day release date.
This probably provides a good analogy for how fans of the original film may feel. It must be like having the greatest pair of magical socks ever created, still in perfect condition. Then for Christmas your mom buys you a used pair of generic socks from the flea market that you just know aren’t magical at all; and will probably stink.
Never the less Sony is moving ahead and according to THR, have even hired a director in Jake Kasdan. He is the son of The Force Awakens screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan and his previous films include Bad Teacher, Sex Tape, Orange County and Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story. If expected to have the film out by this Christmas, he may have quite the task ahead of him.
If the movie is succesful Sony plans on creating a franchise based on the title. Something the classic Robin Williams fronted original wasn’t even able to do.
Tell us, GeekNation; should this film exist? Are you excited for it or would you rather give yourself papercuts for fun? We’ll have more updates as they come, right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Mike Holtz (see all)
- ‘Funny Or Die’ Just Dropped A Movie Starring Johnny Depp as Donald Trump - February 10, 2016
- Get Ready To Play A Little Game: ‘Saw: Legacy’ Is Happening - February 10, 2016
- Johnny Depp To Star In Upcoming Monster Movie Revival ‘The Invisible Man’ - February 10, 2016
- We’re Getting A New Full Length ‘Batman V. Superman’ Trailer Very Soon - February 7, 2016
- The Newest Teaser Trailer For ‘Daredevil Season 2′ Is Here - February 7, 2016