Sequel to The LEGO Movie? TOTALLY happening! More female characters in said sequel? ALSO totally happening!
The ending of the first film hinted at a larger female presence in the sequel, and in a recent interview with the BBC, writer/directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller have confirmed that the sequel will indeed include more female characters. Lord said, “It’s important to us that the movie plays broadly and that we inspire young women as much as we inspire young men,” with Miller adding, “I don’t want to give spoilers but there will be more female characters and more female stuff.”
Speculation is because there’s a human component to the first film (and said human component features a little sister), this could mean that the sequel could revolve around her imagination, which could be awesome. Lord and Miller also pointed to the the changing tide in the industry with films featuring strong, female leads – like The Hunger Games and Frozen – that also pointed them in the direction of having more female characters in the sequel. Also awesome.
Miller himself says:
You can feel that the whole movie culture is now starting to wake up to the fact that half the audience are women. Frozen is reflective of that — and I think we are all going to find a great flourishing of women film makers and subject matter in the future. There’s been a real shortage of [female protagonists] in recent years and I think that the near future will be very different.
Between you and me, I could do with less Wyldstyle and more Unikitty in the sequel!
In short, everything is looking to be awesome all over again when The LEGO Movie sequel gets underway sometime next year!
Latest posts by Cricket Lee (see all)
- ‘Full House’ Sequel ‘Fuller House’ Reveals a Similar Storyline to the Original Series - July 30, 2015
- “Breaking Bad” Real Estate: Jesse Pinkman’s House Is For Sale! (REALLY!) - July 29, 2015
- Let’s Review: “Behind The Mask: The ‘Batman: Dead End’ Story” - July 27, 2015
- Adult Swim’s “RickAndMortyRickstaverse” Instagram Offers Hours Of Exploration (LITERALLY) - July 24, 2015
- Check Out What Happens When ‘Jurassic Park’ and High Heels Combine - July 23, 2015