It looks like one of last year’s best films is about to receive a new, extended release cut on Blu Ray and DVD because we live in a world where it’s becoming increasingly more rare for the theatrical version of a movie to be the only released it seems, especially when it’s a blockbuster or major title. I’m looking at you too Batman v Superman.
Thanks to a new listing over at DVD Active, an extended version of The Martian has been revealed, which will include ten minutes of new, never-before-seen footage from the film, in addition to a new commentary track for the movie with director Ridley Scott, screenwriter Drew Goddard, and The Martian author, Andy Weir. It will also include a few new deleted scenes and possibly some new special features as well.
Again, this is just strange and slightly frustrating honestly, considering that the movie just came out on blu ray a few months ago as it is, and feels like something more fitting of The Hobbit trilogy, which basically cashed in on extended versions and alternate cuts from the word “go”.
However, for those of you commentary track enthusiasts out there (myself included), this might be worth picking up at some point. Or even if you just want to be stuck on Mars with Matt Damon a little bit longer, this should do the trick. Considering one of the film’s strongest aspects was its tight pacing though, it’ll be interesting to see just how different it might be with ten more minutes of footage slapped on. If you even bother to pick this version up, that is.
The Martian Extended Cut will be released on June 7th.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2′ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016