It was first reported late last year that Dimension Television was working on developing a TV series adaptation of Stephen King’s The Mist. Now, while Hulu’s 11.22.63 continues to prove itself as one of the best King adaptations in years, it sounds like The Mist series is finally starting to gain some traction again.
In fact, Spike TV has reportedly ordered a pilot episode for the series, which not only garnered King’s blessing, but will also be taking influences from both his original source material and director Frank Darabont’s 2007 film as well, which starred Thomas Jane in the lead role, surrounded by a lot of future Walking Dead cast members.
Christian Trope is writing the adaptation while his successful show Rita in Denmark is now finishing its fourth season and after a healthy amount of work developing programming at both Showtime and AMC as well.
Bob Weinstein, co-chairman of The Weinstein Company and Dimension films, commented on the news with the following:
“We are excited to be in business with Spike on their first scripted production pilot and working with the very talented Christian Torpe to further explore Stephen King’s classic novella and bring this riveting series to television audiences.”
For those of you not familiar with the film or novel as well, the story follows a small town that gets covered in a seemingly harmless mist, but soon is revealed to contain a large variety of chaos and destruction with it, including other worldly creatures. With the mist surrounding them, the citizens of the town must fight to survive not only the dangers that the mist brings, but also each other.
The story could make for an interesting television series, although it would probably make for some fairly bleak hours of programming, and considering how beloved both the film and the source material are, the series already has some large expectations to live up to. Now to see if its up for the task or not.
The Mist TV Series is currently in development.
Make sure to keep checking back for more updates — right here on GeekNation.
Latest posts by Alex Welch (see all)
- ‘War For the Planet of the Apes’ First Synopsis Released, Footage Premiere Date Announced - September 30, 2016
- ‘Luke Cage’ Star Simone Missick Was Actually Shot While Filming The Netflix Series - September 30, 2016
- First Image of The Justice Society of America in ‘Legends of Tomorrow’ Revealed - September 30, 2016
- Full ‘Murder on the Orient Express’ Remake Cast Includes Daisy Ridley, Michael Pena, and More - September 30, 2016
- Ryan Gosling Announces New ‘Blade Runner 2’ Set Visit Contest Online - September 30, 2016